Tuesday, January 29, 2013

ARC Review: Prodigy by Marie Lu

Title: Prodigy (Legend #2)
Author: Marie Lu
Pages: 384 pages
Format acquired: Paperback (ARC)
Publisher: Putname Juvenile
Publication date: January 29th 2013
Source: Won a copy from Fiona Paul.
Pre-order the book: Amazon / Barnes and Noble

June and Day arrive in Vegas just as the unthinkable happens: the Elector Primo dies, and his son Anden takes his place. With the Republic edging closer to chaos, the two join a group of Patriot rebels eager to help Day rescue his brother and offer passage to the Colonies. They have only one request—June and Day must assassinate the new Elector.

It’s their chance to change the nation, to give voice to a people silenced for too long. 

But as June realizes this Elector is nothing like his father, she’s haunted by the choice ahead. What if Anden is a new beginning? What if revolution must be more than loss and vengeance, anger and blood—what if the Patriots are wrong?

In this highly-anticipated sequel, Lu delivers a breathtaking thriller with high stakes and cinematic action.
(Image and summary taken from Goodreads)

Review:

HOLY SH--. Those were the two words that repeatedly ran through my brain as I read Prodigy. (Yes, I don't finish curse words in my brain. Haha!) There were literally times where I was gripping the book too hard or just plain cursing a blue streak subconsciously while reading it. The fast pacing just kept me anticipating on what would come next, will this happen or will that? Marie Lu really knows how to get all the cogs in your brain working. She'll leave you guessing and guessing and guessing but you'll never truly know if you got the answer right till you finish the book.

I really loved the way Prodigy turned out. I felt that it was a really wise decision of Marie Lu to focus on the action aspect of the book and not so much on the romance. While I thought that the lovey-dovey parts were a bit scarce (but hot, nonetheless,) the fight scenes/epic battle scenes totally made up for it. Prodigy really made me realize that the Legend series isn't just about a girl and a guy on the run from the government, noooope. I realized that the series is about a badass girl and a kickass guy on the run from the evil, evil government. See the difference? Most people would assume that it's all about Day and June's relationship, but it's not all about that. These two kids are still on the run and trying to start a revolution, this was really emphasized more in Prodigy. Marie Lu was able to bring back the essence of the series in this book.

Even though these characters already started out strong and well-equipped, Marie Lu still found spaces for improvement. She was able to make her characters better and even more exciting. There were honestly parts where I just wanted to climb into the book and smack some sense into the characters though. I guess it's inevitable for the characters to make mistakes and misunderstand things as well. It's these mistakes that help them grow into better and more improved characters that will only serve to make us love them even more.

I'm sure everyone's wondering if there's going to be the proverbial love triangle that usually pops out during the second book of a series. I honestly don't think that anyone should be worried... Or not. I'm not really going to elaborate too much on it lest I spoil the book for you but, it's not something a reader/a fan of the series will get annoyed about. Marie Lu was really able to work this out well and was able to keep the machine well-oiled and going smoothly. It didn't seem out of place or too overkill, I thought that what she did with the romantic aspect of the book was really good. And of course it added drama. Who doesn't love some good drama? *muches on popcorn*

Prodigy exceeded my every expectation. I'm usually wary with reading sequels especially when there's a lot of hype that goes with it, but this book will not disappoint at all. Prodigy just reinforces Marie Lu's mastery in being able to create worlds that will just boggle your mind. It reminded me why I love the Legend series so much. And the ending? Explosive. I suggest you go hide somewhere and don't come out till the next book gets published. I honestly hope that you love Prodigy as much as I did.

Rating:
.5


6 comments:

  1. YAY!! So excited to hear that you liked it! Can you believe I found out today that I won a giveaway for this talk about awesome! I truly loved Legend and I cant wait to tear into Prodigy. Great review! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can hardly wait to get my hands on a copy of Prodigy today! Great review! I LOVED Legend and I'm really glad that Prodigy doesn't suffer from "second book syndrome."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When an author writes a rockin' second book, you know she's a keeper. ;)

      Delete
  3. The ending was exquisitely done even though it broke my heart :(((

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely agree! Marie Lu threw us a curveball with the ending. I honestly didn't see it coming.

      Delete