Saturday, February 22, 2014

ARC Review: Working It by Kendall Ryan

Title: Working It (Love by Design #1)
Author: Kendall Ryan
Publisher: Atria Books
Publication date: February 18th 2014
Source: Received via NetGalley (Thanks, Atria!)
Buy the book: Amazon / Barnes and Noble



Emmy Clarke is out of her depth in New York City’s fashion world, but when she lands a job as an assistant at a modeling agency it seems like the perfect mix of business and pleasure. Working under the notorious Fiona Stone is a nightmare, but there’s one distinct perk: ogling the ridiculously hot male models who parade through the office—particularly rising star Ben Shaw.

Ben is everything Emmy’s not: exquisitely gorgeous, highly paid, and well-traveled. He’s also got more issues than Vogue. Emmy looks after Ben on photo shoots, but she refuses to become another one of his lusting groupies. Ben finds Emmy’s refreshingly real attitude to be surprisingly attractive.

Against a backdrop of the most fashionable cities in the world, casual flirting turns into an illicit affair, but when Ben’s twisted past is revealed, and the bitter Fiona catches wind of their relationship, their careers and hearts are threatened.

(Image and summary taken from Goodreads.)

Review:

I have always been a huge fan of Kendall Ryan, I once had a marathon wherein I read all her released books in four days so to say that I am a fan is an understatement. I was insanely excited to read Working It because it's just one of those books that you're always teased with and ever since Kendall Ryan mentioned it, I've been dying to read it. I was both bummed and ecstatic to find out that the publishing rights were bought because Kendall Ryan super deserves the book deal but I was bummed because the release date was pushed back so I had to wait... Not really, getting an eARC via NetGalley pretty much made my month last year and I devoured Working It like I did with her other books, except with even more vigor because Working It is (for me) one of Kendall Ryan's best works. Books about actors, models and generally famous people have always fascinated me so reading a story based on the modeling industry written by one of my favorite authors was a definite treat.

There was a slight "Devil Wears Prada" theme to the story except for the fact that Emmy's boss, Fiona Stone, is much more of an evil witch compared to Miranda Priestly. Did I mention that Fiona is friggin' psycho? Well, she is. Fiona is an evil and psychotic manipulative b*tch that is so cool to being what I like to call a "Nan" (Abbi Glines reference). Her protectiveness over Ben creeps the hell out of me... I know that I should be giving her the benefit of the doubt but she is just too messed up for me to even feel an ounce of sympathy for. Sorry, folks. But let's move on to a slightly less depressing topic...

Aside from the fact that Emmy had a boss from hell, she didn't particularly have a glamourous life. And her struggles were actually a foundation to who she grew to be, by the end of the book. Emmy was introduced as timid and kind of a pushover but I think that it was also her "relationship" with Ben that helped her be stronger (but more on that later). Emmy's growth as a character was pretty straightforward and in a way, it really helps the reader easily understand Emmy as a person as well. (She was a bit too innocent at times... but managed to contradict herself by being not innocent enough so that was kind of confusing.)

I really liked Ben, I didn't love him but I really liked him as a person (I like his friend, Braydon, more because OMG OMG OMG, you'll understand when you meet him). The thing with him is that he is strapped with so much baggage, the only things missing are the multiple tattoos and piercing and he'd be the perfect angsty bad boy. Okay, he's not really a bad boy but that's the idea anyway. I never expected someone who oozes confidence and sex appeal to be that deep but he is, he really is. He's also really intense. Really, really intense. And you'll also wonder about his relationship with Fiona because you'll immediately know that something happened/is happening between those two... but what? Ben was a tough nut to crack but it was interesting seeing him very slowly shed his shell because of Emmy.

While Kendall Ryan's other books were fluffy and sweet, Working It was the exact opposite, it was dark and sexy. This has to be Kendall Ryan's sexiest book because the "bedroom scenes" (as I like to call them) were off the charts H-O-T-T (double T)! More than that, the story was deeper than her other books and the drama can be compared to those Latin soap operas, extra explosive with a side of confrontation. So yes, this is my favorite Kendall Ryan book until she gives us the sequel because I NEED BOOK TWO. I loved seeing a different more mature side to Kendall Ryan's writing because that really reinforced what a great writer she is. Can't wait for more of her books! (Y'all need to try them out, seriously.)

Rating:
.5


No comments:

Post a Comment